It’s LSU week, and for Alabama it’s basically the entire season, so we have to go big.
This week’s cocktail is inspired by two of my former roommates who went to school at Tulane University in New Orleans and would order these at bars in the French Quarter. It has a high degree of difficulty, an element of danger, and a visual aspect that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
A word of caution though, as my old roommate Jeff will tell you, do not attempt to make these on a Formica counter top while inebriated or any chance you have of getting your security deposit will vanish faster than Tyrann Mathieu’s draft prospects. I present the Flaming Dr. Pepper.
- 3/4 shot Amaretto
- 1/4 ounce Bacardi 151 Rum
- 1/2 glass beer
- Fill a shot glass approximately 3/4 full of Amaretto
- Top the shot glass off with enough 151 to burn for a few seconds (a solid “1 Beat LSU” count)
- Place the shot glass into an empty pint glass
- Fill the pint glass with beer until it almost reaches the rim of the shot glass
- Light the 151 on the top of the shot glass and let it burn for a bit
- Blow out the fire, close your eyes, look at the ceiling and fire the drink down the hatch
The drink gets its name because it tastes like a Dr. Pepper soda. I was skeptical when I first tried one but it actually tastes spot on, which taught me never to question somebody who went to college in New Orleans on matters of drink. I’m serious about the Formica counter top too, those things will go up in an instant when coated in 151. Have fun with these but by all means please be safe and be responsible. Roll Tide.