I began 2012 by casting a few predictions into the blogosphere and, as we begin 2013, I thought it might be fun to look back at those. I made 14 predictions last year, and 10 of them were right. That’s better than a tv psychic – and I dress better too. Sure, some were made in jest but that’s all part of the fun.
Clearly, The Tide winning the BCS was right on target but I was dead wrong about Bama Basketball, Baseball, Missouri and Chizik’s teeth. In another post, I predicted that 2012 would be Chizik’s farewell tour at The Barn, so I was half right. There’s really no secret to success in the prediction game, as I pointed out in the original article: “anyone, with reasonable knowledge, could make logical assumptions about the coming year and have a respectable record of success.”
I actually got to hold the BCS trophy before it got shattered last year. There is no better crystal ball to use when contemplating future success in Tuscaloosa.
With that in mind, here are 10 things to look for in 2013.
- Bama will beat Notre Dame and, once again, win the BCS title.
- Nick Saban will not leave for the NFL but he will start to think more about heading to the lake.
- Alabama will, again, have a top 3 recruiting class.
- There will be major changes in the basketball and baseball programs.
- The media, as always, will hype a small school with a weak schedule but there will not be a BCS buster at the end of the season.
- Across the state, Auburn will improve on their record but still no winning season.
- NCAA rumors and bad press will continue to haunt Auburn as they finally get some level of sanctions for recent indiscretions.
- Alabama’s fleet of running backs will be as formidable as ever, but two will fall victim to the depth charts and transfer to smaller programs.
- The final, non-playoff BCS championship will feature an SEC team.
- Gruden will still be mentioned for every major vacancy but will not destroy the myth by returning to the sidelines.
What are your predictions for 2013? What are your resolutions? I resolve to go to more games, write more, and meet more of you. Leave us a comment and let us know your thoughts. Roll Tide and Happy New Year!
Follow William on Twitter