Nick Saban held his post scrimmage press conference this afternoon to update the media and fans after the last pre-season scrimmage before the season kicks off.
- Saban thinks a lot of players made a significant improvement from last week to this week, but there were also some players that they would have liked to see make more progress.
- Defensively, today’s scrimmage had much better tackling and not as many missed tackles. Offensively, never got in any rhythm. Misfire on passes, dropped balls, and penalties caused the offense to shoot itself in the foot. Those are things that can be cleaned up though. Did make some explosive plays on offense.
- Was a tired team out there today. Will be taking 2 days off before they get back at it.
- Saban says you can tell the guys that are wired the right way and keeps things going when it’s tough circumstances.
- Eric Thomas spoke to the team last night. Simple message: Do you have a reason why you are doing what you are doing?
Everybody wants to be the beast. Everybody wants to be number one but until they do what a beast has to do to be a beast, then it all changes.That’s going to be the difference in this team. I’m sure they all want to be good. The test will be if they go and do what they need to do to be good.-Saban
- Specialists were good today. Punting was good. Adam Griffith was 4 for 4 or 5 for 5. Made a 47 yard field goal.
- Both quarterbacks played an equal number of reps with the first team. Both guys had their moments of doing good things but Saban also saw inconsistencies. Blake Sims is playing a bit faster since he is used to the system. Until someone clearly wins the job, there won’t be a decision on the starting quarterback.
- Saban didn’t think the team was physical enough on the line of scrimmage. Six or seven significant players for the team not out there today. Vogler is a very good blocking tight end. He didn’t scrimmage today. He’ll be full go on Monday. Leon Brown probably could have scrimmaged today but will be back Tuesday. Dominick Jackson will start to do some stuff on Tuesday.
- Trey DePriest did scrimmage. Eddie Jackson, A’Shawn Robinson, Eddie Jackson didn’t scrimmage. No significant injuries today.
- Had a lot of guys miss a lot of camp at certain positions but that has helped the younger guys mature and get a lot of reps.
- Bradley Sylve and Cyrus Jones did good in coverage.
- Kenyan Drake also did a good job today. Had a 65 yard reception for a touchdown.