Check out the videos and highlights of what Coach Saban and the Alabama players had to say after Alabama’s 33-23 win over West Virginia in the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff game on Saturday in Atlanta, GA.
- Saban is proud of the way the team competed. Thinks there are things that they can improve on but there are also things that they done well.
- Have to give credit to West Virginia. They had a lot of players returning from a team that had Oklahoma on the ropes last year as well as one that beat Oklahoma State.
- Pleased with the way Alabama controlled the ball on offense and the time of possession as well as third down conversions. Also, the balance on offense.
- Saban thought Blake Sims settled down in the second half and managed the game a little bit better. Pleased with how he played overall.
- Didn’t respond well on defense without the leadership out there. Had two new guys out there that had never started linebacker. Settled down and played better in the second half.
- Having leadership out there that has experience and that can direct the defense almost like a quarterback is big, especially with the no huddle offense. Didn’t have that during this game with the new guys. Thinks when we get some players back, it will help everyone to play with more poise.
- Blake Sims got a bit rattled in the second quarter and Saban told Jake Coker to warm up and that he was going in if Sims didn’t settle down. It wasn’t in Sims’ play. Some confusion on plays so the offense went no huddle and got him back on track.
- Adam Griffith was 4 for 4 on field goals. Always had a lot of confidence in him. There were times last year that thought about making him the kicker. Should have a lot of confidence after his performance.
- DeAndrew White has a separated shoulder. Shouldn’t be out more than a week or so but Saban hasn’t talked to the doctor yet.
- Can do the no huddle as much as they want. Will do what benefits the players the most.
- Saban thought the game would be exactly like it was. Thought the West Virginia had a better team than everyone gave them credit for before kickoff.
- Likes the team’s attitude, their work ethic and said that they have bought in and will do the things they need to do improve.
- Thought Kiffin did really well. Had him on the sidelines so that he could help with Sims’ checks. Says Kiffin is a really good coach and that the media needs to fess up to that. “Most places that don’t like him because he left and they were mad because he left. They weren’t mad about anything he did while he was there.”
Be sure to check out the Alabama Crimson Tide player videos below as well.