Less than two weeks until Selection Sunday, Alabama basketball fans are enjoying this season’s Bracketology. Thanks to the accomplishments of Nate Oats, the Crimson Tide is no longer a bubble team.
The SEC has only one bubble team this season and it is the Florida Gators. Mississippi State and South Carolina are trying to claw themselves into bubble territory, but the odds are against them.
A win over Texas A&M on Wednesday night should lock up a 5-seed for the Crimson Tide. Two wins this week and Nate Oats’ team should become a 4-seed no matter what happens in the SEC Tournament.
The Tide’s solid NCAA Tournament seeding comes from it having beaten two projected 1-seeds, Gonzaga and Baylor, plus four teams in the 3-6 seed range. Alabama also has wins over two more projected or possible NCAA Tournament teams; Miami and Florida.
Bracketology Predictions for SEC Teams
- Auburn Tigers – Jerry Palm still has the Tigers as a 1-seed. They are a 2-seed in the other predictions.
- Kentucky Wildcats – The Cats are a 2-seed with all but Jerry Palm who has them as a 3-seed.
- Tennessee Vols – Tennessee is a 3-seed, except by Palm who has the Vols as a 4-seed.
- Alabama Crimson Tide – Jerry Palm has the Crimson Tide as a 4-seed. The others have the Tide as a 5-seed, with Prisbell rating the Tide as the lowest of the 5-seeds.
- Arkansas Razorbacks – Arguably the hottest team in college basketball with wins in 13 of their last 14 games, the Hogs are picked as a 5-seed by all four sources.
- LSU Bengal Tigers – Will Wade’s team is predicted as a 6-seed by Joe Lunardi and the Bracket Matrix. Palm and Prisbell have LSU as a 7-seed.
- Florida Gators – Only Jerry Palm has Florida in the field as a 12-seed. Joe Lunardi has them in his ‘next four out’ group.
Where and who will Alabama Basketball play?
It is about time to consider who the Crimson Tide might play and where. Jerry Palm places the Tide in the West, with its opening game in Milwaukee. Palm has the Tide playing against Toldeo, with a second game opponent of the winner of Ohio State vs. South Dakota State.
Joe Lunardi has Alabama in the South bracket, playing in Buffalo. According to Lunardi, the Tide would play the winner of San Diego State vs. Rutgers, in its opening game. Next for the Tide would be the winner of U Conn vs. Vermont.
What the Tide needs more than wins is momentum. Winning three of its next four or four of its next five would be a boost going into the Big Dance.