Earlier we published a list of eight things about the Alabama Football defense we’re hoping to learn more about in the first fall camp scrimmage. What we learn will be more in the form of clues, rather than definitive answers to questions.
Next week’s Scrimmage No. 2 will come closer to providing some answers. One answer not anticipated from either Saturday is who will line up at QB1 for the Middle Tennessee State game. Eventually, when Nick Saban relents, and announces a quarterback starter, the competition will enter a new phase but will be far from over.
Crimson Tide fans can expect that at least Jalen Milroe and Ty Simpson will get meaningful snaps against MTSU.
Alabama Football Offense – What to look for on Saturday
- While QB1 and QB2 will not be determined in Saturday’s scrimmage, it will be interesting to learn how much work Tyler Buchner and Dylan Lonergan receive. From the Fan Day open practice, some Alabama football fans are thinking Lonergan is doing so well, he might pass Buchner. Of course, Buchner, who Saban has said is still learning the Alabama system, might suddenly propel himself forward.
- With three of the offensive line positions set, attention will be on left guard and left tackle. Will Terrence Ferguson II latch onto the starting role at left guard over Darrian Dalcourt or possibly Kadyn Proctor? Can Proctor beat out Elijah Pritchett at left tackle? Is the freshman, Proctor so good that Nick Saban and Eric Wolford decide to rotate him at one of the positions?
- After Ja’Corey Brooks and Isaiah Bond, who is the Tide’s third receiver? Going into Saturday, it appears to be Jermaine Burton. If so, which player will rotate with Malik Benson? Also will the next two most active be Kendrick Law and Kobe Prentice, and what about Emmanuel Henderson, Kobe Prentice, and Shazz Preston? With frequent use of tight ends, it might be that no more than six wideouts can see much game action.
- What is the pecking order at tight end? Going into the scrimmage it appears to be CJ Dippre, Amari Niblack, Danny Lewis Jr., and Robbie Ouzts.
- There is little doubt the running back situation will include a rotation of four backs. Will the performance of freshman Justice Haynes continue to push him into a key role?
Though scrimmage information circulates slowly, Bama Hammer will provide all we learn as soon as possible.