On a Labor Day Monday, preparation for the Texas game began in earnest. Preparing for Texas started long before Monday, but now the game is the central focus of the Alabama football program.
Before the rest of us move on to Texas, check out the Players of the Week (POTW) for the Crimson Tide. On offense, they were Jalen Milroe, Tyler Booker and Isaiah Bond. Every Alabama football fan knows about Milro’s five-touchdown explosion. He also completed 72.2% of his 18 pass attempts.
Isaiah Bond was the Tide’s leading receiver with five receptions for 76 yards and one touchdown. The best report for Bond and all the Crimson Tide receivers is there were no pass drops in the opening game.
The offensive line had a good night against the Blue Raiders and Tyler Booker graded highest among his O-Line teammates.
On defense, the Tide’s POTW were Deontae Lawson, Chris Braswell and Caleb Downs. Downs was the Tide’s leading tackler, with Lawson and Braswell close behind.
The Alabama Football Special Teams POTW awards went to James Burnip, Kool-Aid McKinstry and Kendrick Law.
In addition, Jalen Milroe was named SEC Co-Offensive Player of the Week. Caleb Downs was named SEC Co-Freshman of the Week.
Alabama Football Injury Status
- Kool-Aide McKinstry and Deontae Lawson – No injury problems
- Malachi Moore and Jalen Key did not practice on Monday and are considered day-to-day.
- Emmanuel Henderson will be out for a few weeks after a hip injury in fall camp.
- The status of Jihaad Campbell and Devonta Smith for the Texas game is not known.
- Jaheim Oatis is also expected to fully practice for Texas.
- The chatter from Alabama football insiders is Moore and Key are probable for Saturday.
It was reported on Monday that the Crimson Tide has a new team mantra for this season. It is ‘LANK’ that stands for “Let All Naysayers Know.” As one of the authors of the new mantra, Jalen Milroe stated to teammates a few days ago,
"Today we will do what others won’t, so tomorrow we can accomplish what others can’t."
Milroe’s words are the message behind LANK.
In other Alabama football news, a favor is being returned to Texas. Last year, all the Alabama seating was located in the upper deck of DKR Stadium. Texas will have an upper deck location Saturday night in Tuscaloosa.