Alabama Football and the Georgia Bulldogs are two evenly matched teams. Both rosters are loaded with talent. Georgia, depending on how close a quartet of injured players are to 100%, might have an injury advantage.
The Crimson Tide not having Jase McClellan is significant. So could be the injury recoveries of Deontae Lawson, Jaylen Key and Jaheim Oatis. The trio’s performance against Auburn was clearly hampered by none of them being close to 100%.
In close games, luck may decide a winner, as well as poor officiating. Hopefully the latter will not be a factor in the SEC Championship Game.
Otherwise, for an Alabama Football victory, three or four of five certain factors must favor the Crimson Tide.
Key Factors for an Alabama Football Victory
- Alabama must have an effective running game. On the season, the Georgia defense has shown vulnerability on the edges. Whether it is Kendrick Law, Jalen Milroe, or Roydell Williams and Jam Miller, the Crimson Tide needs to make the Dawgs’ defensive line chase plays.
- Strong pass protection for Jalen Milroe – The Dawgs are not the pass-rushing demons of seasons past. Still, Georgia leads the SEC in Passing Defense, because of an outstanding defensive backfield. Milroe and the Tide receivers can prosper against the Georgia Secondary, as long as pass protection is solid.
- Carson Beck is an outstanding quarterback. At a completion percentage of 72.9%, Beck is second among SEC QBs. But when pressured, his accuracy is far less. According to Nick Kelly, when pressured Beck’s completions drop to 51.2%. Georgia is the SEC’s No. 1 in Sacks Allowed, but more important than sacks for the Tide defense will be frequent pressures on Beck, affecting his rhythm and limiting Georgia’s explosive passing attack.
- The Crimson Tide’s defensive front must hold Kendall Milton in check. The Bulldogs have multiple talented running backs, but Milton, averaging over 6.5 yards per carry poses the biggest threat for long Georgia drives.
- Brock Bowers is the best hybrid receiver in college football. Even with Bowers possibly not fully recovered from an ankle injury, he still poses a major threat to the Crimson Tide defense. There has been conjecture the Alabama Football staff will frequently use Caleb Downs at Star, facilitating his coverage of Bowers. Downs has a bit more size than most Crimson Tide defensive backs and he leads the team in tackles.
SEC Championship Game Prediction
Georgia is an outstanding team. At the same time, no other team is more capable of beating the Bulldogs than the Alabama Crimson Tide. Those calling Saturday’s game the de facto national championship game are not wrong.
Make no mistake Alabama Football is more than good enough to beat Georgia. Unless the Crimson Tide helps the Bulldogs win, I believe Alabama will prevail.
Alabama Crimson Tide 31 – Georgia Bulldogs 27
Note: Player and team stats provided by cfbstats.com